Powered by Blogger.

A Court of Thorns and Roses [REVIEW]





I'm listening to this on audiobook. *prays that I actually finish it because I've attempted reading it like 4 times*

LOL, here I am again. I haven't finished it yet.

"Though his bruise still marred my neck, I had looked pretty."

Ok let's just overlook that bruise he left on your body because he called you beautiful. *vomits*


rating: ★★½ stars out of ★★★★★

THIS REVIEW CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS!

““I love you,’ he whispered, and kissed my brow. ‘Thorns and all.”” — Sarah J. Maas

I’m almost sure half of the people reading this feel differently than I do about this book. That’s okay, I understand. It’s okay to have different opinions as long we expressly them kindly. So, i’ll try my best. (Keep in mind, I gave this book FOUR different tries until I finished it.)

I genuinely bought this book because I loved Throne of Glass and think highly of Sarah J. Maas (I still do). I knew almost nothing about it. Usually, I’ll read Goodreads descriptions and reviews before buying a book. Unfortunately, all I knew was that it’s supposed to be a Beauty and the Beast retelling? I wish I had just read the actual fairytale because I barely noticed any relation besides Tamlin being able to shape shift. As for the plot, I was bored to hell. I tried four different times and I wasn’t interested in it at all. But, I felt that way about Throne of Glass at first so I’m not quite giving up on this series. No worries. Meanwhile, throughout each and every time I tried, it was dreadfully slow. 

So, our main character, Feyre, is a huntress who’s trying to support her less fortunate family and ends up shooting a fae male on accident. Whoops. Therefore, we meet Tamlin and Lucien who basically kidnap her and explain to her that since she, a human, killed a fae that she either die (like most of them do) or take the exception offered that she live with the high fae male.

Before I rant, I want to say I deeply appreciate the world building within this book. I love the idea of different courts and the faeries in each one. The entire story could’ve been mind blowing and addicting for me but I had a few things that just kept it from connecting.

I usually love Sarah J. Maas’ writing but I wasn’t exactly amused with it in this books. A lot of the famous quotes almost seem to familiar?? For example,

“Pity those who don't feel anything at all.” 


This quote reminds me way too much of the iconic Harry Potter quote, “Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all those who live without love.”

Maybe I’m reaching, but there’s also been controversy about the “rattle the stars” quote from Throne of Glass being way too similar to another one. Google it, if you’d like. I’m not here to talk about that. Don’t get me wrong, I love her writing nonetheless. It’s just something I noticed throughout the book. But, that’s just teeny tiny factor that barely interfered with my rating.

One of the main faults within this book for me was how incredibly slow it was and how predictable it became after we were introduced the curse and when the girl basically explained the entire rest of the book to provide background information. It gave me absolutely no excitement to keep going and I feel like Sarah J. Maas could’ve presented this in a more mysterious form? Yet, we were kind of just handed all this information at once and it was disappointing.

Don’t even get me started on the characters. For one, I thought Feyre reminded me too much Bella Swan. She isn’t nearly as strong and independent as I expected her to be. I almost want to say she was so?? blind?? She was CLEARLY told what she was doing was stupid and how much she shouldn’t do it. Yet, here she goes, walking into the mess. She was practically a damsel in distress, which didn’t make sense if she was supposed to be this huntress that provided for her family. Sure, she does this for the good of other people. She’s generous but this relationship between her and Tamlin made me absolutely sick. 

For one, I’ve never liked Tamlin. I think this entire “high fae male” thing gives them the right to act like a total jerk when they first meet and then soften up later. It was really predictable for me. I could tell that sooner or later, he’d reveal some kind of love for her and she would fall in head over heels. She literally sacrificed herself at first to go find Tamlin and Lucien. Then, she realized how much trouble she had caused and needed to save absolutely everyone instead. I was clapping when she stabbed Tamlin. Oops.

"Though his bruise still marred my neck, I had looked pretty."

I beg your pardon? I don’t even remember the context as this point but this just makes me feel like Feyre is absolutely clueless. 

I’ve never felt comfortable with the relationships that Sarah J. Maas portrays i.e. Rowan/Tamlin. I understand the concept of a tough, strong, dominant man and how people find it attractive. Well, I don’t. So, that’s just a personal preference. But, I was rolling my eyes the entire time. I’m sure most of you that’ve read both books understand the hatred for Tamlin. It’s just that he was excused for being so rude to her while drunk because apparently, he’s supposed to love her! I didn't find him as attractive as most people do because he's actually crazy. I felt uncomfortable 24/7 reading about him because it was so unbelievable. On the other hand, I love Lucien and Rhysand but from spoilers and obvious hints, you can tell there’s something going on between Rhys and Feyre. 

I mainly gave this book 2.5 stars because I have never felt so exhausted from attempting to enjoy a book. But, I’ve seen such great things about the second one so I might try it. I attempted ACOTAR through just normal reading, to an Ebook, to audiobook (twice) which is when I finally finished it. I generally think all of my reasons for not liking this book are solely based on high expectations and being constantly let down to where I noticed all these small factors that just made me cringe. I’m so disappointed that I didn’t like it as much as everyone else seems to on here. I’m not ashamed of my rating, though. I really did try to enjoy this book but it was lack luster for me.



Find my review over on Goodreads as well!

No comments